All Divisional Police Officers (DPOs) and Area Commanders in the FCT have been directed to remain at their duty posts throughout Easter to take charge of the security of their areas.
Mr Jimoh Moshood, the FCT Command Public Relations Officer, disclosed this on Wednesday in an interview with the told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Abuja.
He said that Mr Michael Zuokumor, the Assistant Inspector General of Police in charge of the command, gave the order at a meeting with the DPOs and area commanders.
Moshood said that during the meeting, which was held to strategise for a crime-free Easter, Zuokumor also directed the DPOs to provide adequate security at places of worship.
“They were also directed to liaise with Church leaders and make their phone numbers available to them to enable them to report any emergency.''
The police spokesman added that all personnel of the command, and patrol vehicles, including Armoured Personnel Carriers (APCs), had been mobilised to response to any emergency situation.
He said that undercover agents and police personnel from the anti-bomb unit had been deployed to comb strategic areas of the FCT.
Moshood warned mischief-makers to steer clear of the territory and advised the people to be vigilant and report any suspicious persons to the nearest police station or security agencies.
NAN learnt that officers and men of the command had been barred from travelling during the Easter celebration to ensure that there were enough men on ground to respond to any emergency.
Meanwhile, the FCT Sector Command of the FRSC has deployed more than 330 operatives and patrol vehicles to manage traffic in the territory during the Easter.
Mr Sunday Ajayi, the sector’s Head of Operations told NAN that 250 of the men would be stationed at the Gwagwalada-Abaji exit route to address the peculiar traffic challenge being experienced on the route during festive periods.
Ajayi said that 80 of the operatives had been deployed to the Nyanya-Keffi route.
He urged motorists to comply with safety rules and standards to ensure free flow of traffic and accident-free celebration.
Ajayi warned that all infraction would be dealt with, as there were mobile courts to try offenders.
“We are putting up mobile courts and we will not spare anybody.
“Overloading, use of phone while driving and driving without seat belt will not be condoned.’’ (NAN)