Super Eagles striking duo Ike Uche and Victor Anichebe were the most notable names to miss out on Nigeria’s 23-man squad for the 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa™.
New Nigeria boss Lars Lagerback dropped seven players in his final cut today with Peter Utaka, Onyekachi Apam, Brown Ideye and domestically-based duo Bassey Akpan and Terna Suswan also missing out.
Real Zaragoza striker Uche had been struggling with a knee injury while Everton’s Anichebe was overlooked in favour of fellow English-based strikers Yakubu Aiyegbeni, Nwankwo Kanu and John Utaka.
Chelsea midfielder John Mikel Obi was included despite missing the end of the season with a knee injury.
Nigeria begin their FIFA World Cup finals campaign against Argentina in Johannesburg on 12 June, and will also play Greece and South Korea in Group B.
Nigeria’s 23-man FIFA World Cup squad:
- Vincent Enyeama (Hapoel Tel Aviv),
- Dele Aiyenugba (Bnei Yehuda),
- Austin Ejide (Hapoel Petach Tikvah);
- Taye Taiwo (Marseille),
- Elderson Echiejile (Rennes),
- Chidi Odiah (CSKA Moscow),
- Joseph Yobo (Everton),
- Ayodele Adeleye (Sparta Rotterdam),
- Rabiu Afolabi (Salzburg),
- Danny Shittu (Bolton);
- Kalu Uche (Almeria),
- Dickson Etuhu (Fulham),
- John Mikel Obi (Chelsea),
- Sani Kaita (Alaniya),
- Haruna Lukman (Monaco),
- Yusuf Ayila (Dynamo Kiev);
- Yakubu Aiyegbeni (Everton),
- Nwankwo Kanu (Portsmouth),
- Obafemi Martins (Wolfsburg),
- John Utaka (Portsmouth),
- Victor Obinna Nsofor (Malaga),
- Osaze Odemwingie (Lokomotiv Moscow),
- Chinedu Ogbuke Obasi (Hoffenheim).