Policemen Shoot Colleagues, Kill Selves In Adamawa, Rivers

Share this with friends...

A policeman went berserk and shot two of his colleagues before shooting himself at Lala Village of Gombi Local Government Area of Adamawa.

In a related development, another police corporal at the Trans-Amadi area of Port Harcourt, the Rivers State capital, shot himself dead after shooting an inspector.

LEADERSHIP learnt that the corporal, believed to hail from Ogoni in Rivers State shot the inspector severally before turning the AK-47 rifle on himself.

It was gathered that both policemen, who were attached to an indigenous oil servicing firm, Plantgeria Limited, were on their duty post at about 9.00 am, at Plot 278 Trans-Amadi Industrial Layout, Port Harcourt when the incident occurred.

Eyewitnesses said there were no sign of disagreement between the two police officers before the incident.

When contacted, police public relations officer (PPRO) in the state, Mr. Ben Ugwuegbulem, who confirmed the incident, said the police inspector did not die as he was only shot on the leg.

?Ugwuegbulem stated both victims were rushed to the Teme Clinic in Diobu area of the state capital for medical treatment, adding that the police corporal died later after refusing to be treated.

In similar vein, the Commissioner of Police (CP) in Adamawa, Mr Aderele Shinaba, said that the policeman identified as Cpl. Nuhu Ishaku, without any provocation, went wild.

Shinaba said that he lifted his rifle and opened fire on his colleagues at the Lala Police Station.

He said that Ishaku shot and killed one Inspector Benjamin Tizhe, who was the Charge Room Officer at the police station.

The CP said that Ishaku also shot Cpl. Chokica Inchi, who was receiving treatment at a hospital, before shooting himself four times and later died in the hospital.

“We don’t know what really prompted him to take such an action, but since one of those shot is still alive, we hope when he recovers he will assist us in the investigation.''

The commissioner also confirmed an attack on Jimeta Police Station by unknown gunmen.

Shinaba said that the attackers, who came in a white Toyota car at about 1 a.m. on Tuesday, opened fire on the station, but were repelled by policemen on duty.

“There is no casualty on our side and I can’t say if any of the attackers was hit,'' he said.

He commended the efforts of his men and warned that any attempt by any group or individual to try them would be dealt with.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that there was a similar attack on Demsa Police Station in Adamawa last week, but it was also repelled by the police,

The CP then gave a letter of commendation to the division and a cash donation of N200,000 for the officers and men in Demsa.

Additional report from NAN

Share this with friends...