UN Marks One Year Of Bomb Attack On Abuja House

Share this with friends...

The United Nations Agencies and Organisations in Nigeria, yesterday, remembered all the 23 persons (13 UN staff and 10 non-UN staff) who lost their lives as a result of the unfortunate bombing of the UN House in Abuja on Friday, August 26, 2011.

In a statement made available to LEADERSHIP yesterday, it stated that “We also reiterate our expression of solidarity and support to all the more than 120 persons who sustained various degrees of injuries from the bomb attack.

“We convey the continuous support and appreciation of the UN Secretary-General and all the Executive Heads of various Agencies and Organisations”

The statement asserted that on the solemn one year anniversary, the United Nations Team in Nigeria (composed of agencies and organisations) “presents its deepest condolences to the families of victims while reiterating their gratitude to the Government and people of Nigeria from all walks of life, irrespective of their religion, philosophical or political beliefs, for their active support, solidarity and commitment to the mission of the UN throughout this difficult period”

The UN Country team also expressed gratitude to several federal institutions and state governments which? made available temporary offices for various UN agencies during this period of the forced displacement of UN staff and officials.

The UN Resident Coordinator in Nigeria, Mr. Daouda Toure said “Although the devastating attack took the lives of our colleagues and partners and maimed many people, all of whom were in the building in the pursuit of service to humanity; our spirits have not been dampened.

?“Their deaths mobilises us more than ever before. Their sacrifice will not be in vain. We will strive to pursue our work for the people of Nigeria for the continuance of peace and stability of this great nation, and the socio-economic development of all.

Meanwhile, Permanent Secretary, Federal Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ambassador Martin Uhomoibhi, yesterday in Abuja reiterated Nigeria’s resolve to combat terrorism? whenever it raised its head.

“The 167 million people in Nigeria have resolved that terrorism will have no place in the land,” Uhomoibhi said at the one year remembrance of the UN House bomb blast.

“Nigeria was greatly wounded by the bombing of the UN building last year. We have vivid memory of what happened at the incidence. It was painful because Nigeria has been so dedicated to peace-keeping in the world.

?“We mourn with all the grieving families. We pray God to grant the souls of the deceased eternal rest and quick recovery for all the injured so that they can resume their duties shortly.

“My 16-year-old daughter was in the UN building on the day of the bomb blast, but she escaped. So, I am one of the high government officials directly touched. ”

In his address, Mr Daouda Toure, the Resident Coordinator, UN System in Nigeria, reaffirmed that the UN System in Nigeria would continue its mission to assist in improving the lives of poor people to conquer hunger, disease and illiteracy.

?

?


Share this with friends...
0