COVID-19 is a new illness that can affect your lungs and airways. It’s caused by a virus called coronavirus. The main symptoms of coronavirus (COVID-19) are a high temperature and a new, continuous cough.
Everyone must stay at home to help stop coronavirus (COVID-19) spreading. Wash your hands with soap and water often to reduce the risk of infection.
AUDIO: LISTEN TO OUR EXPLAINER (courtesy Anthill Studios)
To help stop the spread of coronavirus, you should only leave the house for 1 of 4 reasons:
- shopping for basic necessities, for example food and medicine, which must be as infrequent as possible
- one form of exercise a day, for example a run, walk, or cycle – alone or with members of your household
- any medical need, or to provide care or to help a vulnerable person
- travelling to and from work, but only where this absolutely cannot be done from home
These 4 reasons are exceptions – even when doing these activities, you should be minimising time spent outside of the home and ensuring you are 2 metres apart from anyone outside of your household.
You should also:
- wash your hands with soap and water often – for at least 20 seconds
- wash your hands as soon as you get home
- cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or sleeve (not your hands) when you cough or sneeze
- put used tissues in the bin immediately and wash your hands
- not touch your eyes, nose or mouth if your hands are not clean
Source: NHS UK