- By Naija4Life on Jun 30, 2013Women in Sakwaya village in Dutse Local Government Area of Jigawa have commended the state government for establishing a maternity and primary health centre in the village.
- By Leadership Newspapers on Apr 11, 2013
An Arizona man charged with stabbing his wife and son to death admitted to committing the crime over fear he had infected her with human immunodeficiency virus and his belief that their son was handicapped.ABC 15 reports Eugene Maraventano told police he had been with prostitutes and feared he had “contracted HIV or other diseases and passed them onto his wife Janet."The 64-year-old man also told detectives his wife was ill and he was afraid she'd test positive for cancer, so he decided to terminate her life.Court documents indicate Maraventano attacked his wife with a kitchen knife as she was sleeping. He confessed to having considered buying a gun to kill her, but decided not to because "[he's'] not a violent person."After stabbing his wife the suspect allegedly tried to commit suicide, but instead decided to kill his 27-year-old son Bryan. Maraventano told detectives he thought his son was handicapped because he spent too much time playing video games and had no job, friends or a girlfriend. So he went into his son's room and stabbed him twice.According to the medical examiner, Janet and Bryan had been dead for a few days when Maraventano called 911. He is facing two counts of first-degree murder.
- By Leadership Newspapers on Mar 7, 2013Some beneficiaries of Eko Free Health Mission- sponsored by the Lagos State Government - on Thursday commended Gov. Babatunde Fashola for the initiative.
- By Leadership Newspapers on Jan 16, 2013Recently, the World Bank disclosed that most of the country’s researches are gathering dust in the cupboards as they do not see the light of day. In this interview with WINIFRED OGBEBO, the Director-General, Nigerian Institute of Pharmaceut...
- By Leadership Newspapers on Jan 8, 2013
The National Hospital, Abuja, on Tuesday confirmed the death of the conjoined twins, saying they did not die during separation.
The newsmen reports that the twins were born to a 17-year-old woman, Safiya Sani on Thursday, Jan. 3 at Mararaba Medical Centre, Mararaba Gurku in Nasarawa State.
They were later transferred to the National Hospital, Abuja.
The Director, Chief Clinical Services of the hospital, Dr Obasi Ekumankama, told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Abuja that the twins had not been separated before they died.
Ekumankama, who confirmed to NAN that the twins died on Sunday when medical investigation was yet to be completed, said the bodies had been deposited at the mortuary for autopsy.
The director also said the twins had some connection in the heart, down to the abdomen and the upper side of the intestines.
“The doctors carried out medical investigations and they were supposed to complete the investigation on Monday to know to what extent they were connected.
“You cannot operate on them until you know what you are going to do.
``The initial thing showed there were some connections in the heart and between the intestine the upper side of the intestine.''
Ekumankama said that part of the outcome of the investigations showed that the twins were joined from the thorax to the abdomen called thoraco-abdominal conjoined twins.
He said other investigations that were to be carried out included a CT-Scan to determine if they had one liver.
The director, however, said that if the investigations were successfully carried out, a team of seasoned experts would have been assembled to carry out the operation to separate them.
- By Leadership Newspapers on Jan 3, 2013Gov. Jonah Jang of Plateau said on Thursday that his administration was more committed to fighting and eradicating polio, one of the childhood killer diseases. Jang expressed the commitment in Jos while inaugurating a 19-member State Inter-Agency...
- By Leadership Newspapers on Jan 3, 2013Four persons lost their lives in a canoe mishap in Kirikasamma Local Government Area of Jigawa, an eyewitness has said. The witness told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) that the accident occurred on Tuesday when a wooden canoe conveying nine pas...