- By Leadership Newspapers on Apr 21, 2013The Gombe State government has spent over N10 billion for the construction of its College of Education, Billiri, School of Nursing and Midwifery, Gombe, School of Health Technology, Kaltungo, and two Schools of Remedial Studies in Dukku, and Kumo in Ak...
- By Leadership Newspapers on Apr 20, 2013
The West African Examinations Council (WAEC) will henceforth cancel the entire results of any candidates who cheat in more than one subject.
In a communiqué it issued at the end of the council’s 55th Nigeria Examinations Committee (NEC) meeting, the council said it had become necessary to review its rules on examination malpractice.
The communiqué was signed by the WAEC Deputy Director (Public Affairs), Mr Yusuf Ari, and made available to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Saturday in Lagos.
The meeting held from April 15 to April 17 in Lagos.
The council said that it observed with concerns the indictment of some candidates for malpractice in more than one subject in the November/December, 2012 West African Senior Secondary Certificate Examination (WASSCE).
``In order to check the ugly trend, the committee subsequently decided that the sanction in the council’s rules and regulations should be reviewed.
``It is clear that there is an urgent need to review the rule on such cases from cancellation of subject result to cancellation of entire results,” it said.
It noted that collusion and irregular activities, inside and outside the examination hall, were the most prevalent forms of examination malpractice.
It said that monitoring by members of staff of the council and other stakeholders and recent innovations were exposing examination cheats.
``Members believed that if the principal of a school decides that examination malpractice should not be allowed in his or her school, incidences of malpractice will be very minimal,’’ it said.
WAEC said that the NEC endorsed posting of WASSCE irregularities, special and clemency cases on the council’s website.
It said that it had been alerted of the existence of a rogue website where false questions and answers were posted daily to defraud candidates during examinations, adding that it had neutralised the activities of those operators.
It warned candidates to jettison such website.
- By Leadership Newspapers on Apr 10, 2013The ongoing examination at the Tai Solarin College of Education (TASCE), Omu-Ijebu in Ogun, was on Tuesday disrupted by students suspected to be cult members. The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) gathered that the suspected cult members stormed the examina...
- By Leadership Newspapers on Apr 8, 2013Gov. Babatunde Fashola of Lagos State on Monday said that the performance of the nation’s economy was a function of the quality of education its managers received in various institutions in the country. Fashola said this on Monday while receiving...
- By Leadership Newspapers on Apr 3, 2013
Exam Ethics Marshals International, an NGO, on Wednesday hailed the government decision to cancel the UTME and scrap NECO.
The chairman of the NGO, Mr Ike Onyechere, told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in an interview that the decision was ``the beginning of the transformation in the education sector''.
Onyechere said that if the Federal Government would go through with the decision, ``it is a right step in the right direction.
``We, stakeholders, are solidly behind the government if it goes ahead with the decision.
``Now we can be sure that government has the intention of taking this country's education to an acceptable global standard," Onyechere said.
In a related development, an authoritative source at the Ministry of Education in Abuja told NAN that the report could not be said to be Federal Government's final decision until a white paper had been released.
The source said that what had been reported in the media was not new, adding: ``it was what was contained in the recommendations of the Steve Oronsanye-led committee report.
``The fact that the government will release the white paper tomorrow or next month does not mean it has taken a decision.
``When the white paper has been released or the government goes public with the decision, then you can say the decision is final."
- By Leadership Newspapers on Mar 28, 2013
The League for Human Rights, based in Jos on Wednesday demanded N100 million compensation from the Nigerian Army over the alleged ``extra-judicial killing'' of a 26-year-old NYSC member.Making the demand in a statement issued in Jos, the group alleged that the corps member, Wagley Dauda, was shot dead by a soldier at NASCO Area of Jos on Feb. 16.The statement entitled: `Extra-Judicial Killing of Wagley Dauda, said that the killer-soldier was attached to the Special Task Force (STF) deployed to restore peace in Plateau.The Director of the organisation, Mr Nankin Bagudu, who signed the statement, said the brutal murder of Dauda at about 11a.m. on the fateful day was done by soldiers of the STF who mounted a checkpoint in the area.He said that Dauda met his untimely death as a passenger in a taxi marked, EW 336 AA, after soldiers at the checkpoint accused the driver of driving against traffic.Bagudu said that at around PIPC Quarters, a soldier whose identity is still shrouded in secrecy came over and stopped all vehicles that drove against traffic.``He ordered them to drive back but while complying, a soldier shot at the driver and in the process the bullet hit and killed Dauda who was a back seat passenger.``Dauda has a wife and is a staff of the University of Jos, he later died at JUTH that same day,“ the statement said.Bagudu noted that efforts to see the STF Commander over the incident had been futile as he had directed the bereaved family to the driver of the cab in which Dauda was killed, claiming that the STF had nothing to do with the death.The organisation said the family was more devastated over the attitude of the STF Commander and had decided to ask for the handing over of the soldier to the police for prosecution.While asking for a compensation of N100 million to the family for ``the brutal and unprovoked killing of their bread winner'', the league also demanded a retraction of the statement of the STF Media Officer, Capt. Salisu Mustapha, which claimed that the driver tried to escape and did not subject himself to search at the time.In the same vein, Dauda's family in a letter addressed to the STF Commander, Gen. Henry Ayoola, said that Dauda was a member of their family and called for an audience with the STF.The letter, jointly signed by Mr Sati Watley and Mr Markus Watley, said that the STF had made a verbal promise to them after the incident to bear the cost of the burial but regretted that the commander had been shunning meeting with them.``The family found it extremely shocking on Monday when we went to present to the commander the funeral service programme.``We were further shocked when we were told that the STF had nothing to do with the death of the deceased and that the family should see the driver of the commercial vehicle.``We wish to request that you give us audience to discuss this matter so that a better understanding and arrangement is reached,” they pleaded.Efforts to get the views of the STF was, however, futile as the Media Officer, Capt. Salisu Mustapha, failed to respond to calls and SMS put to him.
- By Leadership Newspapers on Mar 23, 2013
Only 4,522 of 55,223 candidates who applied were able to secure admission into University of Calabar for the new academic session, the institution’s Vice-Chancellor, Prof. James Epoke, has said.
Epoke who disclosed this while administering the oath of matriculation on the new students on Friday in Calabar described the matriculation ceremony ``as the occasion for a privileged few".
He said the 50,701 applicants were rejected at the point of screening since the university could only admit few new students.
``Based on our quota, we could only admit 4,522 into our various departments,’’ the vice-chancellor said.
He said 3,467 of the candidates admitted were for Science-based courses while 1,055 were for Arts-related courses.
Epoke pointed out that those admitted account for about eight per cent, with about 92 per cent of those who applied unsuccessful.
He however explained that the high rate of failure was not as a result of academic defficiency.
``It was not as if all the 50,701 candidates were not admissible. Rather, it was all due to our `carrying capacity’.
``Cut-off points were set to accommodate the numbers we can carry in the different programmes,’’ the vice-chancellor said.
He noted that competition for admission was made stiffer by more subscription into the professional courses like Medicine and Surgery and Law.
``There were limited spaces in such programmes.
``Thus, candidates who ordinarily would have easily secured admission into other programmes are annually unable to get places in the over-subscribed courses,'' Epoke said.
He also advised candidates to diversify their interest in order to reduce frustration.
``You should regard yourselves as the very privileged `chosen few’ as it is said. In fact, `many are called but few are chosen’," the vice-chancellor said.
- By Leadership Newspapers on Mar 23, 2013The Federal Government has restated its commitment to encouraging Technical and Vocational Education in order to improve skilled manpower to operate the nation’s economic activities for rapid development. The Minister of Education, Prof. Ruqayyat...